Dr. Martin Burger
Vice President of Software Products, Consultant, and Trainer
Leaders don't force people to follow – they invite them on a journey.Charles S. Lauer
More than 20 years of practical experience in strategic business development, in leadership, in traditional as well as in agile project management, and in software engineering. True to the motto “shipping beats perfection”, I founded my first company at the very beginning of my studies. The second one, an internationally award-winning spin-off, after I had completed my PhD. Now, I help organizations transition to being Agile – delivering the right business value earlier with less bureaucracy.More
I had the pleasure to work with Martin on a significant proof of concept and implementation project. Martin was the overall project manager from the client side. I am happy to confirm (and still impressed) that the workshops hosted by Martin probably were the best in my career so far. He managed to orchestrate a variety of differently focused stakeholders whilst getting the maximum output of this kind of melting pot workshop. He is very goal focused and stands strong in front of others. I hope to work with Martin in future again. He is my first choice whenever I need external project management. Jan Ropers, Director - Head of Technology Consulting Services German bei Willis Towers Watson
Martin has adopted Scrum in the fastest and most natural way I have ever seen the last ten years being in the business. He asks the right questions, he has the right mindset, and indeed, he lives Scrum. Not only because of his profound knowledge in agile and information technology, it's a pleasure to discuss and practice Scrum with him. Jochen Dinter, Agile Coach
Vice President of Software Products at Wirelane
since 08/2019 Saarbrücken, Germany Information Technology
- Head of the company's software development site
Freelance Consultant and Trainer
since 10/2016 Germany Higher Education
- Trainings, workshops and consulting in the context of business agility
- Agile product and project management
- Agile frameworks and methods like Scrum and Kanban
- For more details on my services, see Consulting and Training.
Senior Project Manager and Agile Coach at CosmosDirekt
02/2015 – 07/2019 Saarbrücken, Germany Insurance
- Management of projects with strategic and cross-company character in the business line Digital / Direct
- Development of methodological approaches for agile project and project portfolio management
- Transition to an agile organization: closer collaboration through breaking down the barriers between silos and working in cross-functional teams instead
Computer science (Informatik), Doktor-Ingenieur Dr.-Ing.
01/2006 – 06/2011 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Dissertation with magna cum laude / with great honor
- Nominated for Best Paper Award at ISSTA
Computer science (Informatik), Diplom-Informatiker Dipl.-Inform.
10/1999 – 12/2005 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Eclipse Innovation Grant
- Internship at 1&1 Internet AG
Most Proud Of
- Giving Zest for Life to other people: as a dance instructor, I once taught a blind man how to dance Salsa; as an Agile coach, I teach companies that happiness at work is a win-win situation – to change the world for the better.
- Enthusiasm as a basic building block: to achieve great things, you have to show complete commitment. But that would not be sufficient. To make a difference, you need other people – it is said I enthuse those people.
- Working Independently is perfectly normal for me: from my first large online project as high-school graduate via my first company as freshmen at the university through to an internationally award-winning spin-off – otherwise unthinkable.
- Physical and Mental Health is my priority: CrossFit, Salsa dancing and teaching, meditation, and mindfulness help keep a sound body for a sound mind – and vice versa.
Honors and Awards
- EIT ICT Labs Idea Challenge
- EXIST Transfer of Research
- Website Award of the Saarland
- High-school certificate with honors
- “Scrum-Einführung - ein Erfolgsrezept” / Scrum-Day 2017
Certifications and Training
- Certified Scrum Product Owner / Roman Pichler
- Certified ScrumMaster / Jeff Sutherland
- Leading and Coaching Agile Teams / Ralph Miarka & Veronika Kotrba
- Agile Advanced Masterclass / Alistair Cockburn
- Lean Product Development Flow / Don Reinertsen
- Agile Requirements Engineering / Dr. Peter Hruschka
CrossFit Salsa dancing Salsa teaching Meditation Mindfulness