Dr. Martin Burger
Entrepreneur, Agile Enthusiast, Manager 3.0, and Software Engineer
Leaders don't force people to follow – they invite them on a journey.Charles S. Lauer
More than 15 years of practical experience in strategic business development, in leadership, in traditional as well as in agile project management, and in software engineering. True to the motto “shipping beats perfection”, I founded my first company at the very beginning of my studies. The second one, an internationally award-winning spin-off, after I had completed my PhD. Now, I help organizations transition to being Agile – delivering the right business value earlier with less bureaucracy.More
Martin has adopted Scrum in the fastest and most natural way I have ever seen the last ten years being in the business. He asks the right questions, he has the right mindset, and indeed, he lives Scrum. Not only because of his profound knowledge in agile and information technology, it's a pleasure to discuss and practice Scrum with him. Jochen Dinter, Agile Coach
Senior Project Manager at CosmosDirekt
since 02/2015 Saarbrücken, Germany Insurance
- Transition to an Agile organization
- Agile coaching: Scrum, Kanban, Management 3.0
- Agile software development and project management
Freelance Consultant and Trainer
since 10/2016 Germany Higher Education
- Agile product and project management
- Agile frameworks and methods like Scrum and Kanban
- University of Cologne, University of Hamburg, and others
- For more details on my services, see Consulting and Training.
Founder and member of the management board at Testfabrik AG
07/2013 – 08/2014 Saarbrücken, Germany Information technology and services
- Strategic company development and management
- Lead of software development
- Got 700,000 € in government grants for innovative research
Computer science (Informatik), Doktor-Ingenieur Dr.-Ing.
01/2006 – 06/2011 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Dissertation with magna cum laude / with great honor
- Nominated for Best Paper Award at ISSTA
Computer science (Informatik), Diplom-Informatiker Dipl.-Inform.
10/1999 – 12/2005 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Eclipse Innovation Grant
- Internship at 1&1 Internet AG
Most Proud Of
- Giving Zest for Life to other people: as a dance instructor, I once taught a blind man how to dance Salsa; as an Agile coach, I teach companies that happiness at work is a win-win situation – to change the world for the better.
- Enthusiasm as a basic building block: to achieve great things, you have to show complete commitment. But that would not be sufficient. To make a difference, you need other people – it is said I enthuse those people.
- Working Independently is perfectly normal for me: from my first large online project as high-school graduate via my first company as freshmen at the university through to an internationally award-winning spin-off – otherwise unthinkable.
- Physical and Mental Health is my priority: CrossFit, Salsa dancing and teaching, meditation, and mindfulness help keep a sound body for a sound mind – and vice versa.
Honors and Awards
- EIT ICT Labs Idea Challenge
- EXIST Transfer of Research
- Website Award of the Saarland
- High-school certificate with honors
- “Scrum-Einführung - ein Erfolgsrezept” / Scrum-Day 2017
Certifications and Training
- Certified Scrum Professional
- Certified Scrum Product Owner / Roman Pichler
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner
- Certified ScrumMaster / Jeff Sutherland
- Agile Change Master / CosmosDirekt and edutrainment company
- Lean Product Development Flow / Don Reinertsen
CrossFit Salsa dancing Salsa teaching Meditation Mindfulness