Dr.-Ing. Martin Burger
Consultant and Trainer
Business Agility · Empowering Leadership · Effective Collaboration · Software Craftsmanship
More than 20 years of experience in leading development teams, complex IT projects, and innovative software products to success. I have been working in companies ranging in size from start-ups to group corporations, in different industries like information technology, insurance, electrical engineering, and electric mobility.
On my journey, I have learned which factors are critical for business success in this highly dynamic world:
- Business Agility: Companies respond quickly to market changes and emerging opportunities with innovative business solutions and products.
- Empowering Leadership: Management sees the whole and builds the capability of the organization to create great products. It ensures a people-focused culture.
- Effective Collaboration: People contribute their individual knowledge and experience in close collaboration across organizational boundaries.
- Software Craftsmanship: Next to mastering their trade as engineers, developers understand customer requirements and focus on delivering business value.
Ich durfte mit Martin Burger bei einer Versicherung zusammenarbeiten. Er hat eine extrem schnelle Auffassungsgabe und findet auch in unübersichtlichen Situationen Wege seine Ziele zu verfolgen. Er hat die Transition eines projekt-und effizienz-optimierten, hin zu einem lean und agile Unternehmen begleitet und dadurch die Reaktionszeiten dieser Versicherung am Markt weiter verbessert. Insbesondere erste crossfunktionale, agile Teams als Scrum Master begleitet und diese in einem skalierten Umfeld in die Selbstverantwortung und Autonomie geführt.
Kurt Jäger, Senior Management Consultant, Partner & Member of the Board at KEGON AG
I had the pleasure to work with Martin on a significant proof of concept and implementation project. Martin was the overall project manager from the client side. I am happy to confirm (and still impressed) that the workshops hosted by Martin probably were the best in my career so far. He managed to orchestrate a variety of differently focused stakeholders whilst getting the maximum output of this kind of melting pot workshop. He is very goal focused and stands strong in front of others. I hope to work with Martin in future again. He is my first choice whenever I need external project management.
Jan Ropers, Director - Head of Technology Consulting Services German and CEE at Willis Towers Watson
Martin has adopted Scrum in the fastest and most natural way I have ever seen the last ten years being in the business. He asks the right questions, he has the right mindset, and indeed, he lives Scrum. Not only because of his profound knowledge in agile and information technology, it's a pleasure to discuss and practice Scrum with him.
Jochen Dinter, Agile Coach
Dr. Martin Burger – mit Leidenschaft zusammen großartig freelance consultant and trainer
since 10/2016 Germany Consulting / Trainings
- Consulting, trainings, and workshops to help organizations thrive in our complex and ever-changing world:
- Close collaboration in team structures and effective leadership in knowledge work
- Business agility, agile frameworks and methods like Scrum and Kanban
- Software product and IT project management
For more details on my services, see Consulting and Training.
Vice President of Software Products at Wirelane
08/2019 – 04/2020 Saarbrücken, Germany Information Technology
- Director of the company's software development site
- Implementation of Scrum to increase collaboration and to improve product-market fit
- Teaching software craftsmanship to improve the product's quality and to make software development more effective and efficient
- Organizational development to improve cross-team collaboration and vision workshops to align the company's departments
Senior Project Manager and Agile Coach at CosmosDirekt
02/2015 – 07/2019 Saarbrücken, Germany Insurance
- Management of projects with strategic and cross-company character in the business line Digital / Direct
- Development of methodological approaches for agile project and project portfolio management
- Transition to an agile organization: closer collaboration through breaking down the barriers between silos and working in cross-functional teams instead
Computer science (Informatik), Doktor-Ingenieur Dr.-Ing.
01/2006 – 06/2011 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Dissertation with magna cum laude / with great honor
- Nominated for Best Paper Award at ISSTA
Computer science (Informatik), Diplom-Informatiker Dipl.-Inform.
10/1999 – 12/2005 Saarland University, Germany Software Engineering
- Eclipse Innovation Grant
- Internship at 1&1 Internet AG
Most Proud Of
- Giving Zest for Life to other people: as dance instructor, I once taught a blind man how to dance Salsa; as consultant and trainer, I show companies that happiness at work is a win-win situation – to change the world for the better.
- Enthusiasm as a basic building block: to achieve great things, you have to show complete commitment. But that would not be sufficient. To make a difference, you need other people – it is said I enthuse those people.
- Working Independently is perfectly normal for me: from my first large online project as high-school graduate via my first company as freshmen at the university through to an internationally award-winning spin-off – otherwise unthinkable.
- Physical and Mental Health is my priority: CrossFit, Salsa dancing and teaching, meditation, and mindfulness help keep a sound body for a sound mind – and vice versa.
Honors and Awards
- 1st price at the EIT ICT Labs Idea Challenge, Brussels, Belgium
- EXIST Transfer of Research of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi)
- Best Paper Award at the Software Quality Days, Vienna, Austria
- Website Award of the Saarland
- “Scrum-Einführung - ein Erfolgsrezept” / Scrum-Day 2017
Certifications and Training
- Certified Scrum Product Owner / Roman Pichler
- Certified ScrumMaster / Jeff Sutherland
- Leading and Coaching Agile Teams / Ralph Miarka & Veronika Kotrba
- Agile Advanced Masterclass / Alistair Cockburn
- Lean Product Development Flow / Don Reinertsen
- Agile Requirements Engineering / Dr. Peter Hruschka
- Salsa dancing
- Salsa teaching